Verified Greenwich residency will be valid for the calendar year and enables online purchase of: Golf Membership; Park, Tennis/Racquet, Marine Passes; Activities, Summer Camps; Activity Scholarship Applications; Facility Reservations and Tickets.

Residency Renewals are required each year and begin in January. Seniors are exempt from providing proof of residency each year if they have a valid Resident Senior Park Pass

Residency Verification can be completed by Requesting Verification through existing Town records, or uploading documents (as listed below).

Please Click Here to verify or change your primary email and see who is listed as Primary Account Holder.

Relocating within Greenwich or adding a new Family Member?
If you have relocated or plan to relocate to another address within Greenwich, or wish to add a new dependent Family Member, please: Contact Us and select one of the following Forms to complete:
     Address Update and be sure to provide your old address, your new address, a phone number, email address and a list of family members moving with you.
     Family Member Update and provide Birth Certificate.

Who needs Proof of Residency?
• Primary Resident (regardless of age) is required to provide two; in addition proof of age is required when added new.
• Family Members 25 years or over during the calendar year, one proof; in addition proof of age is required when added new.
• Family Members under 25 years require a birth certificate, or proof of guardianship, only when added new to the account.
• To add a dependent, complete the Family Member Update form provide Birth Certificate and include Household ID.
• Seniors, 65 years and over require residency and proof of age.

What Proof of Residency can I upload?
• Utility Bill (gas, electric, oil, water)
• Cable, telephone, internet, cell phone bill
• Residential Lease (12 month minimum)
• Credit Card, checking account, healthcare statement
• Drivers License, CT DMV ID card
• No mortgage, loan, insurance, or tax statements

Proofs of Greenwich residential address must be current and show date, resident name, and address.

Please redact personal information, such as account numbers, license number etc.

We are unable to accept proofs by email, please upload below. You may also take a picture of residency verification with your smart phone/tablet and upload below.

Information for Seniors
Residents turning 65 years old during the calendar year are considered Seniors.
Senior Residency is renewable every five years or within the ‘Senior Park Pass’ five year cycle, currently 2020 – 2024.
Senior Residents who are Non Park Pass holders must provide proof of residency every year, as listed above.

OnePass with Senior Tennis/Pickleball option required to play on Town Courts and make online court reservations for Tennis and Pickleball.

Seasonal Vehicle Pass for Residents
Resident Park Pass holders with out-of-town vehicles, may purchase a seasonal resident vehicle pass ($200) or a single entry vehicle park ticket ($40) each visit.
(Valid for vehicle access to Greenwich Point and Byram Parks with active OnePass Park option). Not valid for Single Entry ticket holders.
Seasonal resident vehicle passes may be purchased by uploading or mailing vehicle registration (in resident's name) and a copy of insurance.
You will receive email notification when approved for purchase.

Boaters and Marine documents
The boater, vessel owner must provide two proofs of residence.
Also required: Current Vessel Registration and Insurance Declaration Page for those vessels that require one.
To pay online, upload your signed form and email your request to the Marine Department.

Residency renewal begins in January every year. Based on current volumes, email response can take up to five (5) business days.

Please check your 'spam' or 'junk' email for the response emails coming from either: [email protected] or [email protected]

After you have received your proof acceptance email you may make your online purchases.

Applying for Youth Scholarship? Click Here to Apply after uploading documents.

To request verification through existing Town records without uploading documents Click Here

You must login before using this feature.

Town of Greenwich Anti-Discrimination Policy
The Town complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination, equal opportunity, affirmative action, and providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to participate, please contact the Commissioner of Human Services at 203-622-3800 or [email protected] as soon as possible in advance of the event.